Saturday, March 15, 2008

Stardate 020080315: VLA (Very Large Array)

The reason for my existence, the one reason why I wanted to come to New Mexico in the first place.. Yes, it indeed sounds geek. I wanted to see the Radioantennas in Socorro, the same ones appearing in many movies, such as The Contact, 2001 Space Adventure etc. And yes! I finally did it and went there! :D It was reeeeeally cool! The antennas are insanely huuuuge. We were driving about 3 hours from Las Cruces to get there but it was all worth it to me at least :)

The VLA site had a small museum telling about the construction and history of the site, a small gift shop, walking tour and god damn strong wind :P Well, maybe for many people it wouldn't have been sooo special...but for me, woooow, I loved it :D

So, here are some pictures from there:



A sign beside the highway

You couldn't use the cell phone and yes, well, it was good that we didn't take our microvaweoven with us....hmmm

And that's me! Damn the thing is huuuge!



This was kind of like a "garage" for the antennas


On the way back to Las Cruces we noticed a ghost town near Socorro. It was called Kelly Mines. We decided to see how it was, and it was really a ghost town... no people whatsoever.. All the buildings had been torn down, the only thing remaining was an ooold mine tower or something and some ruins. Well, I wouldn't want to be in that place in the dark :P The view from the Kelly Mines was amazing. The location was reeally high..


Kelly Mines



A view from the Kelly Mines

No comments: